I want to start a business as an independent contractor do I need to pay superannuation or workers compensation?


Answer: Australian Business Number, tax obligations, insurance Independent contractors work under their own Australian Business Number (ABN), pay their own taxes and Goods and Services Tax (GST), if applicable to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). They also pay their own superannuation, although in some circumstances they may be entitled to paid superannuation entitlements if their employer provides all, or most of the necessary materials and equipment needed to complete the work. Independent contractors get their own insurance, unless they’re a “deemed” employee (e.g. some workers in certain industries are deemed as employees and are afforded the same treatment and rights as regular employees, even though they have been hired as independent contractors). More information about the difference between independent contractors and employees can be found in the Australian Government Fairwork Ombudsman – Independent contractors section. https://www.fairwork.gov.au/find-help-for/independent-contractors